We started his Amoxicillin on Saturday evening and he has been getting 2 doses a day. He is also taking Tylenol for his fever and aches/pains a few times a day, Zyrtec to help his drippy (possibly allergy related) nose, Numbing ear drops for the pain in his ears, and the occasional Motrin when Tylenol just isn't cutting it!!! I feel like I'm back to nursing in the hospital! Having to keep track of all his medications and times. It's a tad stressful having to give him so much!!! Out of all those, something is making his pee-pee stinky and his farts rancid!!! So he is a bundle of fun to be around!!!
Not to mention how GRUMPY he is!!! I would give anything to have my smiley, giggly, fun baby back!!! It's like, just when he got to a fun age he started cutting teeth and turned into a grump, and just when his 4 teeth are way through the gums and he should start feeling better he gets ear infections!!! Poor little guy!!! I can't wait to see him smiling and giggling all the time again!!!
And don't get me started on the feeding problems the illness has caused!!! For some reason (maybe the antibiotic changing his taste buds, or maybe just a phase he is going through) he will NOT eat his solids! Maybe the occasional puff and sometimes we can sneak some baby food in, but for the most part he bats away your hand holding the spoon, seals his lips tight, and spits everything out. And breastfeeding is such a challenge since 75% of the time his nose is stuffed up to the point where NO air is coming in or out. So he tries to nurse and can't breathe so he freaks out! Then he is pulling off and re-latching so much my nips are so sore! But it's times like this when breast milk is so beneficial to him so we find ways to make it work. Right now he is just nursing in short intervals but I'm working to find easier ways to get past the stuffy nose.
And yes, surprise-surprise, the illness has made sleep problems touch-and-go. Sometimes he goes down like a sack of potatoes, and other times he screams when you lay him down in his crib. We tried propping his mattress up so he isn't lying flat, and I think that is helping a little. We started putting "my pal scout" in the crib for some lullaby music, but it went berserk last night and now it doesn't work!
Anyway, I lost all steam on this post by watching the Ellen show so I'm gonna end it here!!! I hope the week gets better from here on out!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment