Wednesday, November 2, 2011

New Hobbies Galore!

Well, I think that I will start the month of November off on the right foot!!! I'm taking up a few new hobbies!!! I have decided to buy a dSLR camera and take up photography. Not so much artsy, nice photography as much as getting better candid shots of Davie. Actually, if I'm being completely honest... I really am just sick of missing GREAT shots b/c Davie is too squirmy and fast! I need a camera that can take the shot and FAST! I'm sick of being like, what a cute pose and then looking at the monitor and seeing a blurry screen... so I figure this way I can always catch the shot! I haven't bought one yet, but I think I am debating between the Nikon D5100 & Canon Rebel T2i or T3i. Honestly, no idea how to decide which one, but I am hoping that I find a good bargain one day and buy something for a good price!

Oh yes, which brings me to my next hobby... sewing! No, not sewing anything cool. I really just want to be able to sew my own hems on pants. Davie has a long torso and short, stubby legs... which makes buying pants a challenge. Everything that fits his waist is like 4 inches too long... And if it is short enough it is too small on the waist. I cannot win. So I've decided that instead of always rolling up his pants (which inevitably comes unrolled and ends up tripping him) I am going to learn how to sew hems on his pants so they'll all be the right length! I talked my grandma (the best seamstress I know) and she taught me the basics on sewing a hem by hand. So I went to Michael's today, bought some basic tools, and when Davie went down for a nap I took 2 pairs of pants (that I had put on him and measured where the bottoms needed to be earlier) and started at it! Well... it took me 1.5 hrs to do just ONE pair... so I called it a day after that pair. And... my sewing work is shoddy at best. I bet it will come undone with one washing. lol. So... I went on Amazon and did some quick research on sewing machines and found a really good deal on a Brother XL2600i sewing machine. Seemed like the best starter machine for under $100 on the market (based on my brief research at least). And it can sew hems! YAY! I get it tomorrow (I love Amazon Prime) and I will finish the second pair of pants when I get the proper equipment. I'm hoping that I get good enough at sewing hems to be able to do my own pants! I have been rolling up my jeans for months now since I bought them. How great to have them hemmed properly without taking them to a seamstress. Oh I hope I can figure this out! lol Who knows... if I enjoy sewing maybe I'll move beyond hems and try some fancier projects. Maybe.

And to end on a Davie note... he had an interesting Halloween! He enjoyed handing out candy but was angry with us each time we had to close the door. I think he really wanted to join the fun outside and walk around in his costume. Next year he will be old enough for trick-or-treating. It should be FUN! Here's a cute picture I took of him at the pumpkin patch last week!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment